Love them, or hate them, we cannot have a Game of Rugby without a Referee !
The understanding of the Referee can make, or spoil, a Golden Oldies Match. A regular area of disagreement and misunderstanding is the treatment of Players wearing Coloured Shorts.
We play in Golden Oldies Rugby Festivals, and the Fun, Friendship and Fraternity which is the Golden Oldies Motto must be evident at all times.
The following Festival Playing Laws have been approved by the European Golden Oldies Rugby Festival Committee.
Our Festivals will run to Golden Oldies Festival Laws. Click Here, to Download a Copy.
All Players must be correctly attired for Golden Oldies Rugby at all times including footwear. Low profile studs or grass sport shoes.
These Golden Oldies Laws do not permit offside play or unsportsmanlike behaviour and have been designed to increase the enjoyment of the Game, eliminating over-vigorous play and minimising the chances of injury. The normal rules of Rugby as per Rugby Europe – Under 19 Laws – shall apply with the following variations:
- All 8 forwards must remain bound in the scrum until the ball has been cleared.
- The halfback must not follow the ball around the scrum.
- There must be no pressure scrummaging or movement of the scrum. (i.e. non-contested set-scrums)
- There shall be no striking against the head by hookers.
- Defending players may kick the ball only in their own 22.
- In lineouts all 8 forwards must take part. All lineouts shall be set (no quick lineouts). No supporting (lifting) of jumpers is permitted.
- Teams scoring a try shall also restart the game by kicking the ball to the non-scoring team.
- There are no Kicks after a score.
- Unlimited substitution of players.
- Players must observe the offside rule, particularly that of remaining behind the hindmost foot at rucks, mauls and scrums; lineouts to a minimum of 10 metres.
- The game shall be played over two 15 or 20-minute periods…….or an alternative decided by the Festival Organisers
- No player may run more than 20 metres before passing the ball.
- All players must observe the restrictions on tackling ‘older’ players. These are identified by coloured shorts.
- Captains will be responsible for the behaviour of their players.
- Other variations may be organised at the discretion of EGOR and both captains and the referees.
Please ensure your Team are aware of the Golden Oldies Laws !!